When I was about 3 years old, my father made a tape (I’m dating myself) of me learning memory verses for Sabbath School ( the Seventh-Day Adventist version of Sunday school) and the one verse that I still here my 3 year old self quoting is Mark 14:8–“She hath done what she could”. When I think about the 4 years that president Obama has had and the trials and tribulations he has had to endure, it is no wonder that he became emotional while speaking at his last stop in Iowa before returning to his home in Chicago to find out if Americans can move “Forward” and continue the work that was started November 4th, 2008.
For the last 4 years, it has been well documented how the Republican Party has openly undermined Obama’s presidency regardless of how it affected our country and two days after Obama’s inauguration, Rush Limbaugh stated that he– “Wanted President Obama to fail”. That statement alone let all of America know that no matter how he and we may be able to help you, we are going to, as my momma used to say, “Cut off our nose to spite our face” and sit back and watch the show.
Unfortunately for them, they really did sit back and watch a show and the show was that of a man on a mission and it looked as if the mission was heaven sent because despite the roadblocks that were thrown his way, he managed to accomplish the following as listed on http://obamaachievements.org:
- Obama has overhauled the food safety system
- Advanced women’s rights in the work place
- Ended Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell (DADT) in our military
- Stopped defending DOMA in court.
- Passed the Hate Crimes bill.
- Appointed two pro-choice women to the Supreme Court.
- Expanded access to medical care and provided subsidies for people who can’t afford it.
- Expanded the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- Fixed the preexisting conditions travesty [and rescissions] in health insurance.
- Invested in clean energy.
- Overhauled the credit card industry, making it much more consumer-friendly.
- While Dodd-Frank bill was weak in many respects, it was still an extremely worthwhile start at re-regulating the financial sector.
- He created a Elizabeth Warren’s dream agency: The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- He’s done a lot for veterans
- He got help for people whose health was injured during the clean-up after the 9/11 attacks.
- He’s killed Osama Bin Laden
- Eliminated several other Al-Qaeda leaders
- Ended the War in Iraq
- Begun the drawdown of forces from Afghanistan
- End-run Republican obstructionism by recess-appointing Richard Cordray to run the Consumer Financial Protection Board.
If there is anyone out there who has ever been undermined at work when all you tried to do was show up and do your job, go back and read this list of accomplishments as a reminder of what a thankless job looks like. This list is the result of hard work and the kind of work expected of an american president so as we wake up today ready to cast our vote, let’s all remember what President Obama has accomplished in the face of adversity and if anyone asks what he’s done…just tell him–“He hath done what he could” and now it’s our turn.
All over the news this morning, Republicans were crying about the fact that more attention is being paid to now Hurricane Isaac than the Republican Convention and the nomination of Mitt Romney for President. With Hurricane Isaac poised to hit New Orleans on the Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, and with the devastation Hurricane Katrina caused still in our memories, political shock jock, Rush Limbaugh, claiming that the government and more specifically, Obama, have somehow rigged a natural disaster to conveniently hit just in time to rain on the RNC‘s parade shows more and more the extremes they will go to create a conspiracy where there is none.
Obama is so powerful that he was able to summon a hurricane just in time to interrupt the Republican National Convention? All the more reason I should vote for him…the man is connected! I believe Rush’s statements solidify Whitney Houston’s famous quote “Crack is whack” but it’s Rush so insert oxycontin for crack.
The cancellation of Monday’s opening ceremonies at the RNC has obviously taken the wind of the their sail and it reminds me of episode 312 of Mad Men when Roger Sterling‘s daughter’s wedding is upstaged by the assassination of President Kennedy. That is exactly what has happened with the RNC. They have been upstaged and find themselves once again, stripped of any power…and we all know how Republicans respond to loss of power!
While I don’t know anyone who would wish a natural disaster would be the reason the RNC has less of a stage to showcase their ideology I do have to agree with Rush Limbaugh when he said–“…when you put this all together in this timeline, I’m telling you, it’s unbelievable!” and it is unbelievable because it seems even the Lord is looking to silence Republicans.